Single windsor dating
Single windsor dating
The same year efforts were made to grow rice, but with little success. During the years 1804-5 Governor King proclaimed the following Commons in the district:— Ham Common. Later Trustees for Ham Common were: Abraham Cornwell, Robert Fitzgerald, George Bowman. A school was also established at an early period, situated near South Creek, just behind the Court House. The residents took an interest in the affairs of the colony in those early days. He was presented with a large puree of sovereigns, subscribed by all denominations. This he carried on at Scotland Island, near Newport, at the mouth of the Hawkesbury. Some good cedar trees were growing in the district, and settlers were prohibited from cutting them, as the Government claimed them all. Thomas Arndell and Charles Grimes, Deputy Surveyor, were appointed resident magistrates in 1802. Grimes left the district in 1803, and was succeeded by Surveyor G. Trustees: William Cox, John Bowman, Andrew Thompson, Edward Tutterill, William Minchin. Trustees: Andrew Thompson, Thomas Biggars, Thomas Tyler. As will be seen on reference to the articles on "Schools and Churches" elsewhere, divine service was held at the Hawkesbury by Rev. A covered waggon began to ply three times a week between Windsor and Sydney, starting on 9th February, 1805. An address was presented by them to the Senior Chaplain, Rev. Marsden, on the occasion of his visiting England in 1807. A big flood in Maitland in 1875 called forth the sympathy of the Windsor residents, who subscribed one hundred and ten pounds for the relief fund. It is said that he also had an illicit distillery here. Biggars got a similar reward at the same time, spirits in those days, as was well-known, being a medium of exchange.
The old Government House was also built about this time as a residence for Lieutenant Edward Abbott, commander of the troops for the N. About the year 1800 there appeared on the Hawkesbury a settler named Andrew Thompson, who played a leading part in the development of the district up to the time of his death in 1810. His brewery was situated on the bank of the South Creek. Hughes (who was the schoolmaster at Richmond, and formerly at Windsor), R. is one disadvantage in being a pioneer—the just appreciation, which is jour due, comes about one hundred years after your death. 18 history of the Hawkesbury District between the years 17 consists of the discovery, exploration and naming of the river and its tributaries, among them the Mc Donald and the Colo Rivers, by Governor A. We now come to the era of modern times, when, as will be Been in the article on the Municipality, water was laid on to the streets in 1890, and the streets were lit with gas in 1887, streets were attended to, and footpaths kerbed and formed, and better sanitary laws enforced. In 1882, on 22nd February, a great cricket match was played on the Fairfield ground between an All-England Eleven and twenty-two players from the Hawkesbury clubs. In 1891 the Hawkesbury Agricultural College was started, 3,195 acres of Ham Common being taken for the purpose. We find amongst the advertisements in the old papers in 1878 the following names which are still familiar: W. They were registered in October, 1802, and March, 1804, and carried crews of three to six men each. from 1817 to 1835, and he arrived in the colony in the Pitt on 11th April, 1806. Strange to say, it escaped the fire in 1874, when the church and all the surrounding buildings were laid low. Governor Phillip when he explored the Hawkesbury in 1789 was moved to designate it "so noble a river", and, in the years to come, his successors had reason to endorse this opinion, for the banks of the river were the granary of the infant settlement. Phillip and Captains Collins, Johnston, Watkin, and Tench. A special train was run from Sydney, and one thousand spectators were present. From otter sources we learn that these vessels were built on the Hawkesbury. So rapid was the church's growth that it was decided to build a larger church, the foundation stone being laid on 17th October, 1838, by the Rev. Schofield, and the church, measuring fifty by thirty feet, capable of seating one hundred and fifty people, and costing one thousand and twenty pounds, was opened on 4th December, 1839, during the pastorate of Rev. This hall was built to accommodate the Wesleyan day-school. The church, which measures fifty-two feet by thirty-two feet, and cost two thousand and eighty pounds, was opened on 30th August, 1876, when a collection of four hundred pounds was taken, leaving a debt of six hundred and forty pounds on the building, which had been reduced to one hundred and sixty-four pounds in the year 1882, and has long since been cleared off. The hospital has been remodelled, but the old main walls remain. A painting of Governor Macquarie was arranged for by the inhabitants of Windsor during his last visit to the town, and this was executed on his return to England, at a cost of £73 10s., and has hung in the Court House for the past ninety years. Barracks for one hundred convicts, with high brick wall. The high brick wall was lowered many years ago, and the barracks are those still seen in Bridge-Street. The original gaol was, we believe, built before Macquarie's time, but he had it enlarged about the year 1820. The land was sold by Laban White, on 5th July, 1838. "During the unfortunate disturbances (the arrest of Governor Bligh) which lately distracted this colony, he, whose death we now lament, held on the 'even tenor of his way,' and acquitted himself with mildness, moderation, and wisdom, and when the ruthless hand of death arrested his earthly career, he yielded with becoming fortitude, and left this world for a better, with humble and devout resignation, and an exemplary confidence in the mercies of his God." The following account of the funeral appeared in the Sydney Gazette, 3rd November, 1810:—In the mention of the death of A. John Macarthur, referring to his death, says: "It was an interposition of Providence to save the colony from utter ruin; never was there a more artful or a greater knave." In Bigge's report on the colony of New South Wales, made in 1822, he describes him as using his wealth so as to gain an influence with the small settlers on the Hawkesbury, and also as a man of loose moral character. Governor Macquarie's reply, granting the citizens' request, is dated from Government House, Windsor, 4th January, 1822. The Cope family lived in the old cottage next the Presbyterian Church; the name appears in the Post Office Directory at 1835. Thompson, Esq., in the Gazette of last week, we should have added an account of the funeral, which took place on Friday Se'nnight (which means seven night), had we in time received it. Cartwright walked foremost, and was followed by Surgeons Mileham and Redfern, who had attended the deceased through the long and painful illness that brought to a conclusion an existence that had been well applied, Next followed the bier, attended by Captain Antill, A. But every fair-minded historian will see that a man who won the esteem of three successive Governors, as well as of all the leading residents of the district in which he lived, including the clergymen, and at whose funeral the whole district followed "their friend and patron" must agree that to call Andrew Thompson a bad citizen is a distortion of plain facts. Richard Fitzgerald arrived in the colony in the ship William and Ann, on the 28th August, 1791, when about nineteen years old. A fresh impetus was given to the church by the settlement of the Rev. The Articles have been the subject of considerable correspondence, both in the local paper and direct to the author. Henry Selkirk, of the Lands Department, and for several years a kindly neighbour in Killara. The following year many more families were settled, and as the natives were troublesome, some troops from the N. It is of interest to note that Lieutenant Grose was the son of Captain Grose, concerning whose peregrinations through Scotland the poet Burns wrote: A chiel's amang you takin' notes, And faith he'll print it. The Grants from the year 1800 to 1804 were as follows—Thomas Hobby, William Bates, Lydia Austen, Charles Marsden (900 acres), William Ezzy (130 acres), Henry Cox, and Andrew Thompson. The bat of missing books is given, which includes such standard works as Milton, Burns, Sterne, Thomson, Hervey and others. The foundation stones of this church were laid by Rev.
By this means valuable revisions and additions have been made. "I have read the articles on the 'Early Days of Windsor', by the Rev. "As a native of Windsor, with a clear recollection of the past seventy-five years, I may say that the author has spared no pains to make his statements accurate and reliable. The earliest Hawkesbury Crown grants included those to Samuel Wilcox, John Brindley, William Bond, John Ruffler, Alexander Wilson, and Whaelen. Thomas Westmore and William Anderson, James Ruse, Ann Blady and Joseph Smallwood, in 1797. These may be easily located on the map of the Parish of St. The grants for the same period made near Pitt Town were:—Messrs. A Government order, dated 8th April, 1804, ordered that all boats trading on the Hawkesbury River should be numbered and registered by Andrew Thompson, head constable, otherwise they would be confiscated.
It is with the pioneers who opened the way, and with the men who followed and built and tended the pleasant town of Windsor on the noble river's bank that Mr. He has expended much time and labour in gathering his material and in disinterring from the somewhat dusty chambers of the past the names and deeds of men who "deserve to live." For these services Mr. who would know the early history of Australia must perforce know something of its first granary, the Green Hills, afterwards known as Windsor. These and others made several successive visits to the Hawkesbury River, reaching as far as Richmond Hill. He also built the Governor Bligh, in 1807, which traded to New Zealand. The foundation stone of the present church was laid on 8th December, 1875. The chief laymen during the seventies throughout the whole circuit were:—William Dean, J.
Steele deserves the success which I am sure this book will command. BERTIE, Past-President, Australian Historical Society. The substance of this volume ran through the columns of the between August, 1914, end February, 1915. In the year 1794 Lieut.-Governor Major Grose placed the first twenty-two settlers along the banks of the Hawkesbury River and South Creek, railed then Ruse's Creek, as James Ruse, the man who first grew wheat at Parramatta, had a grant of land at the junction of that stream with the Hawkesbury. Corps were sent up, and the settlement of Windsor, then called Green Hills, was fairly launched. Andrew Thompson appears to have had some literary taste, for in an advertisement in the Sydney Gazette, 9th December, 1804, he asked that those to whom he had loaned certain books would kindly return them. Walker (the ancestor of many Methodist ministers), J. Among those present, as circuit minister for a second term, was the Rev. Wilkinson, who was also present when the foundation stone of the burnt church was laid, in 1838.
The same figures will be found in Waugh's Almanac for 1859. They were all local men, judging by their names: John Howe (leader), and his son-in-law George Loder, Andrew Howe, William Dargan, Philip Thornley, and Benjamin Singleton, after whom a northern town is named. It is interesting to notice the rapid development of the town of Windsor and district during the regime of Governor Macquarie. We have difficulty in locating the buildings numbered 6, 7, 8, and 9. A few years after, what was known as Cope's Farm was sold. Thompson was enabled to accumulate considerable property, and what was more valuable to him, to possess the confidence of some of the most distinguished characters of this country, the consciousness of which surmounted the private solicitude of re-visiting his native country, and led him rather to yield to the wish of passing the evening of his life where his manhood had been meritoriously exerted, than of returning to the land which gave him birth. Thompson's intrinsic good qualities were appreciated by his Excellency the present Governor (Macquarie), who soon after his arrival here was pleased to appoint him a Magistrate, for which situation Mr. This act, which restored him to that rank in Society which he had lost, made so deep an impression on his grateful heart as to induce him to bequeath to the Governor one-fourth of his Fortune.
During Governor Macquarie's regime (1810-22) Windsor was really a military settlement. Roads were made, magistrates and clergymen were appointed, churches and schools provided, public buildings erected, such as court house, gaol, military barracks, and hospital. One was made into a temporary chapel in 1810; downstairs a church, upstairs a school, and residence for the chaplain. Three-storey provision store and granary, bought from Andrew Thompson's estate. A large building stood on the site of the present School of Arts, known at the time as the old military hospital, and where soldiers were seen standing on guard. Another three-storey building stood behind the present School of Arts, and was the church in use until the opening of St. We can find no trace of this being used for any other purpose than that of a church and school, and we hesitate to name it No. It consisted of portions of the grants to Joseph Smallwood, and Thomas Riccaby, granted to them in 17. Thompson's natural good sense and a superior knowledge of the laws of his country peculiarly fitted him. This most useful and valuable Man closed his Earthly career on the 22nd Day of October, 1810, at His House at Windsor of which he was the principal Founder in the 37th year of his age, with[in] the Hope of [an] Eternal Life. The above inscription, having become weather-worn, was recut by Travis, of Richmond, about 1908, the coat having been collected in Windsor. Alexander Dandie, who retired on account of advancing years, in 1912, but he only lived a few months after his retirement, as he died on 17th December, 1912, aged seventy-two years.
The 73rd Regiment was stationed here in large barracks built about the year 1820, and still standing in Bridge Street. The main history of this period will be found elsewhere, in such articles as "The Hospital", "Churches", "Magistrates", "Early Schools", "Military", and specially in the separate articles dealing with the following pioneers:—Andrew Thompson, Richard Fitzgerald, Dr. These were well built, for four, if not five, Macquarie buildings are still in use—St. This was originally built of brick for a granary, one hundred and one feet by twenty-five feet, and twenty-three feet high, with three floors, and was completed in August, 1803. Thomas Riccaby died on the 15th May, 1818, aged 67 years. "Nor can we close this tribute to his memory without recurring to the important services Mr. From respect and esteem for the Memory of the deceased, this Monument is erected by LACHLAN MACQUARIE, GOVERNOR of New South Wales [A. The words in brackets appear in a copy of the inscription which was made about 1820, and is now in the Public Records' Office, London.